Sunday, October 30, 2005

Week Three - Victory for C.

i finally won this week...kirk had just been working at his school so that is a bit of an excuse...i did win though.

C.Sadler - K.Sadler
E27 - Nimzo-Indian : Samisch variation

Game three. I had a new idea to play for the tournament coming up in four weeks now. 1.d4 e6 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 Bb4 In all fairness, I did ask him to play the Nimzo against me this week over a few beers at the bar. 4.f3 and this is it. The Kmoch variation, transposing to the Samisch in most cases (like this case). I had been doing a little bit of studying, but I figured with the positional idiocy of the people at the club this is the way to go. Surprisingly a lot of them play the Nimzo 4...d5 This is basically the only move. Over the board though I was worried about Kirk playing [ 4...c5 for a couple reasons. For starters, he plays ...c5 v. every Nimzo. Secondly, I wasn't sure how to continue. 5.dxc5 is obviously bad.( 5.d5 I guess is the main line, but i'm not sure if that's any good or not. Theory gives 5...Bxc3+ 6.bxc3 d6 7.e4 e5 with a mutated Benoni Wall. i don't thikn my bishops would like this. This may be better for Black. Who knows.) ( or the Benko-esque 5...b5 ; but Kirk likes his Benoni so he probably would've tried 5...exd5 and after 6.cxd5 d6 7.e4 I have a pretty good Benoni. Maybe I have nothing to fear after all ;)) Over the board on Wednesday I got 4...0-0 5.e4 Ne8 6.a3 Bxc3+ 7.bxc3 and I duly punished my opponent with a kingside attack.]



5.a3 Bxc3+ 6.bxc3 0-0 [ I expected 6...c5 after which there is an ugly line including 7.cxd5 Nxd5 8.dxc5 Qa5 9.e4 Ne7 10.Be3 ( 10.Bd2 0-0 has never been played at the GM level, but feels easier to play than the mainline AFAIC) 10...Qxc3+ 11.Kf2] 7.Bg5 [ 7.cxd5 is the mainline 7...exd5 ( 7...Nxd5? 8.e4 Ne7 ( 8...Nxc3 9.Qb3 Qxd4 10.Bb2 Qe3+ 11.Be2 Nd5 12.Qxe3 Nxe3 13.Kf2 Nd5 14.exd5 with a better position for White. Komarov-Panchenko 1994) ) ] 7...Nbd7 [ I wasn't too concerned about 7...h6 because I was aiming to go to f2 with this bishop eventually anyways. The main idea of the Bg5 was to get him on a different diagonal because I am going to have to work to get e4 in, play e3 first etc.] 8.cxd5 exd5 Now I am happy with the position as if he plays ...c5 in one move he will isolate his pawn and i'm gonna have a huge center...once I get castled. 9.e3 Re8! A strong move. Now I have to fight to survive. 10.Qd2 [ Fritz liked 10.Qd3 equal to 10.Qd2, but I wanted to keep my options open for my bishop] 10...h6 11.Bh4 b6 12.Bb5! I actually was able to put some pressure on him this way. I was gonna play something like [ 12.Bd3 and 12...-- 13.Nh3 and get on with it, but I have to force myself to look a little deeper.] 12...c6? [ 12...Re6 was the only way to hang on to things, but then i can keep on developing, but at least this doesn't lose. The key is the pin on the queen and the hanging d-pawn.] 13.Bxc6 Rb8 [ I was worried about saccing the exchange 13...Ba6 but i mean i'm better in all variations 14.Bxf6 ( 14.Bxa8 Qxa8 15.Ne2) 14...Nxf6 15.Bxe8 Qxe8] 14.Bxd5? [ Pathetic. I didn't even look at 14.Bg3 winning the exchange. I thought a pawn was enough] A comedy of errors. 14...Ne4? [ I totally overlooked 14...g5 15.Bg3 Nxd5 16.Bxb8 Nxb8 but even still I'm pretty good after 17.e4] 15.Bxf7+ Kxf7 [ 15...Kh8 16.Bxd8 Nxd2 17.Bxe8 and i'm winning easily.] 16.Qa2+ Black resigns Not the greatest game by either side. We both need to work on tactics. I definitely needed to look deeper after 13. ...Rb8 The opening wasn't necessarily a success, but I got some interesting tactical patterns with the Bg5. I'll give er a go some other time. 1-0

1 comment:

Kirk Sadler said...

Sadler,C - Sadler,K [E27]
Training Match G/30 (3), 30.10.2005

Not much of a game, but Craig wants me to annotate. I had a horrible pawn oversight and gave a nice victory to him. This game will remind me to always re-evaluate a plan. I saw my plan after I made a move and then couldn't get the options out of my mind when it was time to change plans.
1.d4 e6 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 Bb4 Craig mentioned two nights before that he wanted a shot at the Nimzo so I happily obliged.
4.f3 This was popular in the early 2000s at the Super G level but has fallen into disuse.
4...d5 I think the only way to fight. This prevents White from playing e4. This could be a good line for White as the f-file gets opened. As well, just like in the Qc2 lines with f3, the natural square for the dark bishop in these lines is f2.
5.a3 I didn't know whether it was better to play this or to retreat my bishop. I figured that White was going to play cxd5 eventually and get a big center either way, and I would have to counter with quick development.
5...Bxc3+ 6.bxc3 0-0 7.Bg5 Now White is threatening to play e4.
7...Nbd7 I'm sure this isn't book, but it is a reliable enough move. The problem I suppose is that the long diagonal is blocked for the bishop because of the inevitable f3-e4 setup that White is going to get, and now I have blocked the bishop's other mistake.

White has a good position here. His plans should just be to play cxd, exd, e4 followed by e5 and f4 (if Black doesn't exchange...if he does play dxe, then a c3-d4-e5 pawn chain). One line (with no Fritz and just me analyzing) is 8. cxd5 exd5 9. e4 h6 10. Bh4 g5 11. Bf2, but now Black can play dxe4 and win a pawn in the process, so I may have to rethink my plan for White. It seems so logical and that it has to work but perhaps White is down a tempo to make it happen. The only other option is 9. e4 h6 10. e5 hxg 11. exf Nxf, but White isn't good in that line either. I really want the c3-d4-e5 plan to work, but perhaps the fact that it doesn't is why this line isn't popular for White.
8.cxd5 exd5 9.e3 I guess this is the only option. Craig (or whoever else plays this line) should look to find a way to get e4 in in one tempo I would think, but perhaps it can't happen.
9...Re8 This was a waste of a move for me. I wanted to threaten things, but I should have played a move like .. c5 or .. c6 to allow my Queen to play .. Qa5 and remove the pin.
10.Qd2 A good move, protecting both the weak pawns. I would have to try to get a bit more pressure.
10...b6 Not a strong move, I should have kep with my original intentions. After I played this, I wondered if I could have gotten away with .. Ne4 on the previous move. The line I was thinking/worried about was 10. .. Ne4 11. Bxd8 Nxf1, but I thought that 12. Bxc7 wins a pawn but missed that 12. .. Nxf1 13. Kxf1 Black still wins a pawn as I can't get after that Bishop. If 12. Kxd2 Rxd8 I am in good shape. As well because of the double attack on the Bishop, White would have been forced to trade queens. I was hoping that it would work and could calculate some lines after, but I didn't consider it until after I made the fateful .. b6 move. Would it have worked? I don't know, and am hesitant to throw on Fritz, but it would have been an interesting try at weakening White's king position. Another line is 10. .. Ne4 11. Bxd8 Nxd2 and if 12. Bxc7 Rxe3+! This is more interesting now as Black has regained his pawn. On 13. Kf2 Nc4 would have to be the escape square for the Knight. On Kd1 the same. In my original calculation (until I moved the pieces) I missed that instead of 13. Kf2 and 13. Kd1, the obvious 13. Kxd2 wins, but how about 12. .. Nxf1 13. Kxf1 Rxe3 and we have the pawns back, and the c3-pawn is hanging. A more interesting position to be sure for Black. [10...Ne4 11.Bxd8 Nxd2 12.Bxc7 Rxe3+ (12...Nxf1 13.Kxf1 Rxe3) ]
11.Bb5 A good move, putting on some pressure. And I fall asleep now, thinking of the combinations to come.
11...c6?? Tossing the game away. This drops two pawns and the remainder needs no comment. 12.Bxc6 Rb8 13.Bxd5 Ne4 14.Bxf7+ Kxf7 15.Qa2+ 1-0