Saturday, November 05, 2005

K 2½ - 1½ C

K.Sadler - C.Sadler
B41 - Sicilian : Kan

Week four. Who thought we'd get this far? I really hadn't put much thought into prepping for this game. 1.e4 c5 I didn't decide what I was going to play until I walked and picked up a coffee before the game. Kirk has a pretty tight repetoire and normally plays a Be2/Be3/f4 system v. the Sicilian. With the Taimanov, ...b5, ...Bb7 I can take advantage of that. Better than getting into a relatively theoretical duel in the Dragon where he obviously would be more comfortable. 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 a6 5.Be3 [This was unexpected. I figured on something like 5.Nc3 Qc7 6.Be3 Nf6 7.Be2 b5 and a decent position. Now I was left to my own devices] 5...Nc6 [Theory says that 5...Nf6 is better, putting the question to the e-pawn.] 6.c4!



Going into a Maroczy bind position. i should've thought more here. Ironically, I didn't play the Accelerated Dragon because I didn't want to face the Maroczy Bind. As an aside, in the Kan/Taimanov/whatever it's not as easy to stop ...d5 with the Maroczy Bind because of ...e6, whereas in the Accelerated Dragon, Black rarely is able to support the d5 push with ...e6 because of the weakness of the dark squares. Even the "Dragon" bishop usually isn't enough to defend those squares, especially if White gets in Bh6 or something. 6...Nf6 7.Bd3 Qc7 [7...Ne5! is much stronger.; 7...d5 was played by Miguel Quinteros in a game v. Ljubojevic which was similar to our game 8.exd5 exd5 9.Nxc6 bxc6 10.0–0 d4 11.Bg5 Be7 12.Nd2 c5 except I think that Black's position was stronger without the inclusion of ...Qc7. I think I should've went with ...d5 right away. White eventually won the Ljubojevic-Quinteros game btw] 8.0–0 d5 9.Nxc6 [9.exd5 exd5 10.Re1 was stronger] 9...bxc6? [9...dxe4! was much stronger, winning a pawn for me. I didn't even pay attention] 10.exd5 cxd5 11.Nd2! I didn't see how strong this was at the time. Not only developing, but gaining a tempo on the queen. Not that we're grandmasters, but Quinteros' idea was much better playing d5 with my queen still on d8 (to support d5) and not allowing the rook move. 11...Be7 12.Rc1 Qd8 [Fritz said that the developing gambit of 12...Bb7 13.cxd5 Qd7 was okay because it doesn't give up a pawn 14.Nf3 (14.dxe6? Qxd3) 14...Qxd5 etc.] 13.f4?! This may have been okay but I didnt like it because it opened up just as many lines on his king as at my king 13...0–0 [I was gonna try 13...d4 right away, but decided against it.] 14.f5 d4?! [I picked the wrong pawn. 14...e5! makes everything better for me. Now I am threatening to push both e4 and d4 and if 15.cxd5 Nxd5 I'm great.] 15.Bf4 Bd6 [15...exf5 may have been stronger but i was all horny over the d4, e5 pawn duo] 16.Bxd6 Qxd6 17.Ne4 [I was worried about 17.c5 because I was having a tough time finding a good place for my pieces] 17...Nxe4 18.Bxe4 Rb8 19.fxe6 fxe6? [Obviously 19...Bxe6 was better. After 19. ...fxe6+ I saw the Qf3+ but i thought that there was no mate, so my connected passers would be worth the h-pawn that dropped or whatever.] 20.Rxf8+ Kxf8 21.Qf3+ [21.Qh5! was even stronger. Once the queen gets to h7 I'm screwed and if 21...h6 22.Rf1+ Ke7 23.c5! I didn't see that OTB though] 21...Kg8 22.Rf1 Bd7 [Maybe 22...Qe7 was stronger but i'm still screwed after 23.Qh5] 23.Qf7+ Kh8 24.Bxh7 [24.Qh5 again was terribly strong. If 24...h6 (24...g6 25.Bxg6) 25.Qg6] 24...Kxh7?? [I should've continued with my "idea" of 24...e5 . This stops the rook from coming to f4 anyways.] 25.Qh5+ Kg8 26.Qf7+ Kh7 27.Rf4 and it's over 27...Qxf4 28.Qxf4 Rxb2 29.Qxd4 Rb1+ 30.Kf2 Bc6? 31.Qd3+ Black resigns Nicely played by Kirk. Overly optimistic by me. I have some stuff to think about as Black before the next time we play again. 1–0

I learned a couple of things from this game

1) i'm lazy tactically...i totally trusted kirk and didn't try and look for anything, especially in the early middlegame/opening
2) i didn't look hard enough at his threats
3) i had one idea (...d4, ...e5) and assumed it was fabulous and didn't look at anything else

we'll see how it goes next week.

1 comment:

Kirk Sadler said...

Sadler,K - Sadler,C [B41]
Training Match G/30 (5), 05.11.2005
[Sadler]

This was our fourth training game. Its time for us (myself specifically) to get a bit more serious as it is only 3 weeks until the Owen Sound (and possibly London) tournament.
1.e4 I decided to repeat my move from the previous game. If Craig wanted to go back into the Lopez, I would be more than ready, but realistically I was hoping for the Caro.
1...c5 Not was I was hoping for. For a brief moment of insanity, I considered 2. d4 or 2. c3, but stuck true, hoping for a Dragon.
2.Nf3 e6 Of course he avoids my Dragon plan. Now I have to figure out what to do. I want to cower and play 3. c3, but realistically I have to try to remember what theory is for move 5 (which doesn't really matter because I am out of it soon afterwards)
3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 a6 5.Be3 I don't believe this is right, but it doesn't really matter. It has to be played eventually, as I hope to have a system with c4/Nd2/Bd3/Be3/O-O anyway.
5...Nc6 [If 5...Nf6 then I am forced to defend the pawn: 6.Bd3 Bb4+ 7.Nd2 and I am on the defensive, although up a tempo or two. I want to get c4 in so this position makes it much tougher.]
6.c4 Trying to prevent .. d5, as well it prevents .. b5 so all in all a good move for White I would think.
6...Nf6 [6...Bb4+ has to be considered in here somewhere. White has a lot of pawns and pieces with the potential for trouble. Fritz had me ahead for most of this opening/early middle game by almost a pawn, but because this is a sharp line both sides feel like they are losing. Both sides have to be extremely careful in these positions. I was surprised that Craig developed to e7 instead of b4.]
7.Bd3 Qc7 Looking to double up on the c-pawn (or at least single up). Bb4+ may have been an option here, as I am planning to move my Knight to d2 or c3 anyway, but as a defensive piece (i.e. overprotecting my c4 and e4 pawns). It is always hard to defend pawns with pieces (and not very practical) which is why it is tough to play c4 in these Sicilian lines.
8.0-0 Still worried about that pin, I had to castle. Another option was 8. Nd2 Bb4 9. O-O but that can transpose. 8...d5 [Fritz liked 8...Ne5 which is an extremely aggressive move. The only counter (which I likely wouldn't have seen) is 9.Bf4! and now the position becomes extremely sharp and it is difficult for White to avoid losing a pawn. 9...Bd6 10.Bg3 Nxd3 11.Qxd3 Bxg3 12.hxg3 and White has a lot of material hanging.

I thought Craig's move was good enough though, as it complicated the position, opened lines for his c8-Bishop and put me into thought on how to avoid losing some material.]
9.Nxc6? [This is another example of me getting an idea in my head and then being unable to change ideas. I wanted to force e5 into Black's position. So I sat and tried to figure out how I could do it. If I could get e5, Black would be in major shambles and ripe for a quick attack. The only problem is that it is impossible. I played the text move hoping for .. Qxc6 then e5, but that was hoping for too much. Better is just to play the simple 9.exd5 exd5 10.Re1 and keep initiative.]
9...bxc6? [I don't know why Craig didn't play 9...dxe4 winning a pawn. Perhaps he just made the casual response, but this causes major problems for White: 10.Nd4 exd3 11.Qxd3 Ng4 12.Nf3 and (with the help of Fritz) Black is forcing the play, with his Bishops ready to swing into the attack. With the text, White keeps his initiative and Black keeps his c8-bishop behind his pawns.]
10.exd5 [I guess I could have played 10.Nd2 dxe4 11.Nxe4 but after I played my previous move I saw that Black could win a pawn (as in the previous annotation) and wanted to remove that chance for Black.]
10...cxd5 11.Nd2 Obviously I can't exchange here or the c8-bishop begins to run wild. With this move (or 11. Nc3) White will soon be able to take control of both the c- and e-file with his rooks.
11...Be7 [11...Bd6 12.h3 0-0 is more forcing, as it forces me to react to Black's moves. The text lets me get along with my plan of dominating the c-file.]
12.Rc1 Qd8 13.f4 [Fritz likes the idea of 13.c5 followed by b4, a3, etc., giving me a nice passed c-pawn. This was the only time in the game when I said that "I have a good position, but now what do I do". This is the sign that you are playing against a strong player (when I was 1100 and 1200 this would happen every time I had the initiative). This hasn't happened in a while. My problem as a chess player is when this happens, I say "let's go for a kingside attack" (which I did this game too). Looking at the pawns, I had no right to try to attack in this position. Fritz's move makes a lot of sense looking at it now.] 13...0-0 14.f5?! Another move where I had to just be patient and make my position stronger. I was running out of ideas though, and this seemed like a good one: if Black recaptures .. exf5 15. Bxf5 Bxf5 16. Rxf5 I have a few pieces into play. Objectively though, this was a very poor move as it allows Craig development of his Bishop, which I had been fighting hard to prevent for the first 14 moves.
14...d4 [14...e5 looks good to me: it gives Black two strong central pawns and removes my potential for attack up the f-file.]
15.Bf4 I had a lot of things planned at this time, including playing Qb3 (eventually) to prevent .. Bb7. With this move (apart from losing a piece) I prevent the rook from going to b8, allowing this part of a plan to continue. Please note that the c5-b4 plan is still good.
15...Bd6 [Why not just 15...exf5 ? I can answer that one: Craig is afraid of pawn weaknesses. Of course he misses that I have no way of attacking the d4 pawn and as well this opens up lines for the c8 bishop.]
16.Bxd6 Qxd6 17.Ne4 [I was thinking about 17.c5 but was unsure of how to proceed through the complications. One line was if he played 17...Qd5 18.fxe6 Bxe6 where its hard to find a suitable line of attack, and even the a2 pawn is hanging.]
17...Nxe4 18.Bxe4 Rb8 Now I am primed for an attack. Black is on the defensive and it is time to get going.
19.fxe6 fxe6? [Why create this weakness? I can answer this one again, because Craig hates isolated pawns. For some reason he would rather have me attack his king by opening lines than developing his pieces. Despite the d4 pawn being a passer and all alone after 19...Bxe6 Craig felt it would be better to fracture his safe king with the text.]
20.Rxf8+ Kxf8 21.Qf3+ [My attack of doubling (and tripling) on the f-file was natural, and good enough to win, but much quicker was: 21.Qh5! h6 (21...g6 22.Qxh7; 21...Ke7 22.Rf1) 22.Rf1+]
21...Kg8 22.Rf1! Now the fact that his Bishop hasn't moved really causes Black problems. If his rook was free to move, a simple .. Rf8 (or even .. Qf8) ends the threats.
22...Bd7 23.Qf7+ [Again my move is good enough to win, but Fritz likes 23.Qh5 g6 24.Bxg6 hxg6 25.Qxg6+ Kh8 26.Rf7 e5 27.Qh7#]
23...Kh8 24.Bxh7 [24.Qh5!! wins as in the other lines. Its funny how you tend to ignore the same things over and over again, and keep to your original plans (or maybe this is just me).]
24...Kxh7 [An interesting line by Fritz is 24...e5 25.Be4 Now Black has to prevent White from getting on the h-file. 25...Bg4 26.h3! Black can't get off the h-file or its mate.]
25.Qh5+ I'll admit that originally I didn't see a forced win.
25...Kg8 26.Qf7+ Kh7 This time around I think "what if a rook lift"? I wanted to do the classic Rf3 one, but .. e5 stops that, so instead
27.Rf4! Forcing Black to sac his Queen.
27...Qxf4 28.Qxf4 Craig is mentally beaten at this point though, and starts playing random moves that lose quickly.
28...Rxb2 29.Qxd4 Rb1+ 30.Kf2 Bc6?? [Even on 30...Be8 31.Qe4+ Bg6 32.Qxe6 is tough for Black.] 31.Qd3+ A very complicated game. Neither side should really be overly optimistic/disappointed and both have lots to learn from this game. Myself, my f4/f5 idea wasn't good, and I need to get back to just taking simple advantages and turning them into wins. Craig has to get over his phobia of pawn weaknesses. King safety should be #1! 1-0