Sunday, September 09, 2007

need a tune-up

K-C
E97 - Bayonnet Attack
08.09.2007


We played a fun game today in prep for the Active tournament we're playing in 2 weeks. It was half heated, K was drinking wine and I made some *dumb* decisions 1.e4 d6? Forgetting that he always tries to transpose to King's Indian. I don't play the King's Indian. I wanted to avoid the Caro for some unknown reason, didn't want to play the Najdorf, was worried he'd suspect something if i played 1.e4 e5 and didn't really feel like playing the Alekhine. 2.c4 Nf6 [ In a recent correspondence game I tried this move order and my opponent replied 2...c5 and transposed to an Accelerated Dragon which was interesting (of course the first move was ...g6)] 3.Nc3 g6 4.d4 Bg7 5.Nf3 0-0 6.Be2 e5? [ Second big mistake. I should've went for a Benoni instead of going for a mainline King's Indian...of course I forgot the line he played... 6...c5 ] 7.0-0 Nc6 8.d5 Ne7 9.b4 Of course. I had forgotten he played this. I was on my own at this point 9...a5 10.Ba3 axb4 11.Bxb4 c5? [ 11...Nh5 is better aiming for the f4-square, trading off the light -squared bishop and being able to play ...f5. my move drops material because i couldn't see one move ahead ;)] 12.dxc6 Qb6 [ 12...Nxc6 may have been better but i needed piece play] 13.Qxd6? [ 13.Bxd6 was much better. He missed that the bishop covered e8 as well] 13...Nxc6 14.Bc5? Qb2? [ Close 14...Qa5! was much better double attacking c3 and c5, making him move the knight and allowing me to capture the e4-pawn then] 15.Qd2 Qxd2 Forced 16.Nxd2 Rd8 17.Nd5! I would have never gone in for this line at all had i seen that he could block the d-file. i have no counterplay and i am down material. of course he has two isolated pawns, but is there any way to take advantage 17...Be6 18.f3 Ra5?? [ 18...Nd7 was much better, allowing me to mobilize my pieces and attacking his hanging bishop] 19.Bb6 Not the greatest game by me. Oh well, stuff happens. hopefully this doesn't carry on :) 1-0

No comments: